Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Stuffin' Our Brains With Portuguese: Week 2 in the MTC

Well, I made it through the 2nd week at the CMT. (by the way this is a weird keyboard so excuse any typos, and i don’t think that the enter key works) I am starting to love speaking Portuguese. I am doing well, even if I occasionally slip into the primitive language of Spanish. I can hold conversations with the natives, and i am usually able to understand what they are saying. I’ve decided that the things I miss most are my family, and English.
I love going to the temple, we take up about 90 percent of the session, so they do it in English (I think the Spanish missionaries do the same thing). We spend about 10 hours a day in a classroom, stuffing our brains full of Portuguese, and top it off with some missionary stuff. The food is still good, even if most of the American elders are having problems with it. I love the devotionals, even if i don’t always understand everything that is being said. I love the people of Brazil, you can go up and talk to anyone, and they don’t look at you like you are weird. The city is huge and it takes about an hour just to get to the Sao Paulo temple on the other side of the city, and looking out of our window, it is impossible to tell where downtown is simply because the entire city has tons of skyscrapers.
 I am starting to get tired of doing just about the same thing every day, but p-days are a great boost, as are Sundays. I miss being at home with my family and friends, but here i am constantly surrounded by 7 of my best friends, all of whom are in the exact same boat (or district) as I am. I am excited to get out and start teaching on the streets (we get to at 4 weeks) one of our pesquiadores committed to baptism last week. I love Tuesday mornings, because we get to do service (not sit in the classroom and try to teach ourselves Portuguese) and we clean the building. The CTM has a beautiful courtyard and some picnic tables outside that we love to have our lessons at (if only because that makes it so we are in the classroom for 9 hours instead of 10) Our district is becoming very close, and during meals we rarely sit with less than another companionship.
The Brazilians that arrived at the same time as us just left, so we lost a few of our friends, the room I am in now has two Brazilians staying in it along with the four of us. We are starting to get used to the CMT and the language. Our instructors now don’t respond to us if we ask questions in English, except to help us say it in Portuguese. The spirit is very strong here in the CMT and you learn a lot in your studies. I have been learning a lot about myself, about others, as well as about the gospel and how to teach it. It’s kind of strange how the instructors don’t ever give us feedback on the lessons we teach, but i feel like i am still learning a lot.
There is a guy who has a shop just outside of the CTM that sells really nice leather scripture cases to missionaries, and i am getting one with a picture of Christ coming out of the tomb on it. I learn a lot, and we are often told to keep our head up even though it is hard, and it is hard, but i try to keep my head up. Thanks for your letters, and Heather I laughed when I read that blaze slept on your stomach. Please keep sending them, I look forward to them, and enjoy them greatly. (And if you didn’t send me one, try to this week.) I heard that spencer made it to Mexico this week, so congrats to Elder Hunt. Well my time is short and I love you all.                                                                                                 

                    -Elder Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment